Augmentin falls into the category of antibacterial drugs with a wide spectrum of action. More than 30 years passed since it was developed. Despite this, Augmentin still remains one of the best-selling antibiotics for the treatment of outpatient and hospital-acquired infections.
Augmentin is a combined drug that contains two active ingredients: the antibiotic Amoxicillin and the beta-lactamase inhibitor Clavulanate. As of today, Augmentin is sold in three dosage forms: chewable or film-coated tablets, powder for oral suspension.
There are several reasons why you should buy Augmentin and use it for antibiotic therapy.
- This antibiotic can be taken by patients of almost all age groups;
- It takes 5 to 14 days to completely get rid of the symptoms and signs of an infectious disease;
- Short-term therapy of infectious diseases increases the adherence of patients to the treatment of the disease.
Before they buying an antibiotic, many patients are wondering whether they need a prescription for Augmentin. To get an antibiotic in a regular pharmacy, patients need a doctor’s prescription. To buy Augmentin without a prescription, you can use the services of one of the online pharmacies.
Augmentin is the drug of choice in the treatment of infectious diseases. It has several advantages over most other antibiotics, which include:
- high activity against gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms-pathogens of infections;
- quickly achievement of therapeutic concentrations in the body – in 30 minutes after the ingestion.
You can find out the information about all the shortcomings and advantages of this antibiotic from the pharmacist while you are purchasing Augmentin at the pharmacy. Augmentin retains its effectiveness, even if taken after a meal. The dosage of Augmentin is:
- Infants younger than 3 months: 30 mg per kilogram of weight divided into two intakes;
- Infants older than 3 months: 40 mg per kilogram of weight in 3-4 divided doses or 45 mg/kg, divided into two doses;
- Adults: 250-500 mg every 8 hours or 500-850 mg twice a day.
Since it is difficult for infants and young children to take solid dosage forms, the liquid oral Augmentin suspension is usually prescribed to pediatric patients.
Advantages of Augmentin Suspension:
- Easy to prepare and easy to use;
- Easy to select a dose in accordance with the body weight of the child;
- Provides a good absorption of the drug in the gastrointestinal tract.
Augmentin is an inhibitor-protected penicillin. In other words, bacteria do not develop antibiotic resistance. Augmentin was created specifically to increase the effectiveness of antibiotic therapy.
The idea of combining an antibiotic with a beta-lactam inhibitor did not appear at once. The development of Augmentin was the result of many years of clinical research.
In 1972, the pharmaceutical company Beecham synthesized the first Augmentin ingredient – Amoxicillin. Three years later, this company obtained a patent for the discovery of the second active Augmentin component – Clavulanate.
However, it took about 6 years before pharmacies began selling Augmentin drug, which combines the high antibacterial activity of Amoxicillin and the beta-lactam properties of Clavulanate.
With the advent of the sale of Augmentin and its introduction into clinical practice, the limits of antimicrobial treatment have significantly expanded. Patients have access to an effective antibiotic that can cure infections that previously did not respond to treatment.
For the first time, this antibiotic appeared on the UK market. Augmentin was approved for sale and use in clinical practice in 1981. Over time, patients from many countries of the world were able to take advantage of the antibacterial therapy through the use of Augmentin.
Today, Augmentin can be bought in dozens of countries around the world, including the USA, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, France, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, and Australia. With the development of Internet technologies, many patients began to buy Augmentin online.